About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Sunday, January 29, 2017

30 DAYS TO 40: MY PALEO ENERGY BALLS

It is actually more than 30 days till I hit the Big 4-0 but it just sounds weird if I entitled the blog post, 32 days to 40, it doesn't sound "monumental" LOL! We all have our bucket lists to tick off this year and there are 2 items on mine  that I wanted checked before I hit 40.

At the start of the year, most of us resolve to eat better, get in shape for a variety of reasons and I totally get that and am fully supportive of anyone who embarks on this journey. For some, the struggle isn't really about hitting the gym especially if you have gym buddies, most of the time the struggle is with food. Although I have never really been an unhealthy eater, I do find myself craving for certain types of food once in a while. I have never really been on a diet, I find them restrictive. Measuring  the serving size and counting calories drives me nuts!

I think it was 2 years ago when a friend mentioned Paleo to me and I looked it up. It sounded pretty easy to do as I have given up rice more than 10 years ago, which is unheard of as a Filipina (you know we love our rice! lol!) What I found hard to digest (quite literally) was giving up dairy and ummmm... Peanut Butter! hahahahahahaha. But the more I read about Paleo, the easier it became to wean myself out of dairy products. Now, I am not a nutritionist, but I have found that eating the "Paleo Way" has cut down my cravings immensely, I am more satiated and even when I am close to that time of the month, I am less bloated.

Now, before I go on and on about Paleo and completely bore you guys, Let me share what my 2 goals are before 40. I want to compete in a Jiujitsu Tournament before my 40th and I want to feel my strongest and leanest on or before the 28th of Feb. I think that the latter extends far beyond after my 40th :)

So, what have I been doing and eating to achieve my goals. Training daily and absorbing all the techniques of my Professors is one. This week I shall be starting  my strength training  program too and we are on packed meals!  

This is my body composition. The 1st data was taken on the 21st of August 2016 and the latest one was on the 21st of Jan 2017.
My goal is to go down to 50kgs
Increase my Skeletal Muscle Mass to 25kgs
Decrease Body Fat to 20%

This photo was taken a day before my 39th birthday and I want this to be my "point of comparison" to see how much progress I was able to accomplish.

To kick off this Blog Series, allow me to share with you one my favorite Paleo Snacks. There are so many Energy Bars in the market and sadly most of them contain ingredients that I can't even pronounce. If I cant pronounce it, chances are, I will not want to consume it! LOL

ANNA'S PALEO ENERGY BALLS
Ingredients
1 Cup Cashews
1 Cup Seedless Dates
1 Bar 70% Dark Chocolate (yes, you can have Dark Chocolate)
A dash of Sea Salt
Your choice of Dried Fruits


Procedure
Combine the Dates and Cashews in a Food Processor till you achieve a Crumblike Texture.
Transfer to a bowl. Fold in the Dark Chocolate and Dried Fruits.
Form into Balls.


Hope you guys give this recipe a try and let me know how you like it. I will be very happy to buddy up with you guys so we can all achieve our Health and Fitness Goals this 2017!

No comments: