About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Sunday, June 10, 2012

CHOOSING YOUR FABRICS AND MY ADVENTURE DOWNTOWN

Hi lovelies! How was your weekend? I hope it was amazing. :) I had a very productive one, 2 bridal trials :) and apologies for the late post but I had to watch Italy's 1st match today. 

If you follow me on twitter, last Thursday I mentioned that I was going to embark on an adventure downtown to educate myself about the many fabrics that are often used on wedding gowns and I have to tell you, I had an amazing time exploring Meena Bazaar! 

If you live in Dubai, you might want to skip driving to Meena Bazaar as parking can be really difficult. I took the metro and went down at Al Fahidi Street. I think it was about a 5 minute walk till I reached the heart of Meena Bazaar. The weather was fantastic! I felt as if it knew that I'll be walking a lot and it cooperated with me. :)

I found some amazing things, got educated about fabrics, laces, nets and embellishments, met fascinating people in my hunt for the ultimate materials for that ONE PERFECT DRESS. :)

So, read on and hope you pick up a thing or two. :)

Love and Light,

A





FIRST STOP WAS GREEN PLAZA TRADING. 
I GOT LURED INTO THE STOP BECAUSE OF THEIR EYE CATCHING COSTUME JEWELRY.

THEY HAVE AN AMAZING SELECTION OF TIARAS! ITS YOUR BIG DAY SO YOU CAN BE A PRINCESS IF YOU WISH, A BEAUTY QUEEN. ACCORDING TO VICKY, GREEN PLAZA'S PROPRIETOR, THEIR TIARAS STARTS AS LOW AS AED 35 TO AED 200.

NEXT STOP WAS REGAL TRADERS WHERE I MET BHAVESH. HE IS ONE FASCINATING MAN. HE HAS BEEN WORKING FOR REGAL FOR 18 YEARS AND I HAVE NEVER MET A  MORE JOYOUS SALES PERSON. HE WAS VERY ACCOMMODATING AND ANSWERED ALL MY QUESTIONS.

HE EVEN CALLED TODAY TO LET ME KNOW THAT THEY RECEIVED NEW FRENCH NET SHIPMENTS.

ACCORDING TO BHAVESH THE FREQUENTLY REQUESTED FABRIC FOR WEDDING GOWNS ARE DUCHESSE SATIN, ORGANZA, PEAU DE SOIE, SHANTUNG SILK AND TAFFETA. 

IN AS MUCH AS I WANT TO DESCRIBE EACH FABRIC, IT IS ACTUALLY QUITE DIFFICULT. YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO TOUCH IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF.

MY PERSONAL CHOICE IS THE DUCHESSE SATIN. :)

BHAVESH ALSO SHOWED ME CREPE SATIN WHICH RETAILS FOR AED 45 OR +/- USD 12. THE CREPE SATIN'S NON SHINY SIDE IS ALSO VERY NICE. 

FRENCH NET IN WHITE
I ORIGINALLY WANTED DUCHESSE SATIN WITH AN OVERLAY OF FRENCH LACE BUT BHAVESH SHOWED ME THIS FRENCH LACE AND I FELL IN LOVE WITH IT. 
IT COMES IN SO MANY COLOURS AND DIFFERENT PATTERNS.

FRENCH NET IN OLD ROSE
THIS RETAILS FOR AED 336 OR +/- USD 92 PER YARD.

MY FIRST CHOICE - FRENCH LACE
REGAL DOESN'T SELL THIS PER YARD. YOU NEED TO BUY THE WHOLE ROLL WHICH IS ABOUT 5 1/2 METRES FOR AED 570 OR +/- USD 156.
THIS FRENCH LACE IS FROM DENTELLE CALAIS IN THE LYON REGION :)

MY LAST STOP WAS FOURESS TRADING. 
IT IS A SMALL SHOP OWNED AND MANAGED BY THIS VERY ACCOMMODATING MAN NAMED AMIRUDDIN. 

HERE YOU WILL FIND ALL KINDS OF EMBELLISHMENTS. LOOK AT THAT SHELF! I WAS SIFTING THROUGH LACE BORDERS UPON LACE BORDERS TO FIND WHAT I WANTED! HEHEHE

HOPE YOU LOVELIES, PICKED UP A THING OR TWO AND FOR FUTURE BRIDES OUT THERE, DONT BE AFRAID TO SURVEY YOUR LOCAL AREA FOR AMAZING FINDS. IF YOU ARE THE DIY PERSON LIKE ME, YOU WILL MOST LIKELY FIND MATERIALS FOR YOUR VERY OWN BRIDAL PROJECT. :)




No comments: