About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

APRIL'S LOOK: AUDREY HEPBURN

Have I been MIA or what?! hehe! How has the Merry Month of May been treating you lovely peeps? Well, my late nights due to work finally caught up with me. Last night, I was completely knocked out by 8pm! Woke up at 7am on Wednesday morning, feeling soooo refreshed. :) Moral of the story? It is okay to work a lot but you got to give yourself time to recharge :)

Anyway, this look that I did for the month of April is majorly late, nevertheless, hope you all like it. This look was requested by a friend of mine on Facebook after I posted the 2 looks that Adele sported during the Grammy's. Originally, I wanted to do a Look per week but work is more demanding the usual, so, I will try my best to post at least 2 per month.

Before I proceed, let me tell you a little bit about the look. I am sure that there are so many reincarnations of Ms. Hepburn's look as Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's (I watched this with my good friend, D and we were sobbing like crazy!!!! Wasn't the Moonriver rendtion just soooo moving?) but before I did the make up I looked at a lot of Audrey Hepburn's photos and realised that her 60's look ( I think film was released in 61) was a lot softer as compared to her looks when she filmed Roman Holiday (50's) Back in the 50's her brow was so much stronger and darker and she sported red lips. The 60's saw a softer brow but still very full and very gamine.

So, without further ado, this is my Holly Golightly interpretation.

Love and Light,

A

MY HOLLY GOLIGHTLY LOOK

FOR THE BASE

IT IS IMPORTANT TO START YOUR MAKE UP APPLICATION WITH A WELL MOISTURISED FACE. IT MAKES FOUNDATION APPLICATION A BREEZE.

FOR THE BASE

I APPLIED BENEFIT'S POREFESSIONAL ALL OVER MY FACE. THIS PRE MAKE UP BASE, SO FAR, HAS BEATEN MY FORMER FAVOURITE. ASIDE FROM FROM MAKING YOUR SKIN LOOK PORELESS (IT IS TRUE!) IT CAN BE WORN WITH JUST A CONCEALER AND YOU ARE SET.

I DIDN'T USE ANY BRUSH TO APPLY MY BENEFIT HELLOW FLAWLESS FOUNDATION. I SIMPLY PUMPED A SMALL AMOUNT ON MY HAND, DOTTED THE T - ZONE AND I BLENDED IT.

(TIP: THE WARMTH OF YOUR HANDS IS PERFECT TO BREAK DOWN THE INGREDIENTS OF THE FOUNDATION MAKING IT BLEND/MELT INTO YOU OWN SKIN BETTER.)

USING A SYNTHETIC BRUSH I APPLIED MAC'S STUDIO SCULPT CONCEALER UNDER ON MY DARK CIRCLES, AROUND THE NOSE AND CORNERS OF MY MOUTH.

I DID NOT POWDER IMMEDIATE. IN FACT, I POWDERED JUST BEFORE I APPLIED THE LIPSTICK. WAITING FOR THE FOUNDATION TO SET INTO YOUR SKIN BEFORE POWDERING HELPS YOU ACHIEVE A MORE NATURAL LOOK AS OPPOSED TO THE POWDERED AND CAKEY EFFECT WHEN YOU POWDER IMMEDIATELY ONLY TO DO IT AGAIN BEFORE YOU FINISH BECAUSE YOU ARE ALREADY VERY OIL.

FOR THE BROWS

THE BROWS, I BELIEVE IS THE DEFINING FACTOR OF MS. HEPBURN'S LOOK. AND I ABSOLUTELY LOVE DOING BROWS, PROBABLY NEXT TO CONTOURING AND HIGHLIGHTING.

EVEN THOUGH THE BROW FOR THIS LOOK IS FULL, IT DOESN'T MEAN THAT YOU CAN GO CRAZY, MAKE IT AS FULL AS YOU WANT AND AS DARK AS YOU WANT, YOU STILL NEED TO MAKE THE SHAPE AND FILL IN THE BROWS WITH A LIGHT HAND.

FOR THE SHAPING
I USED BEN NYE'S MEDIUM BROWN BROW PENCIL TO MAKE THE SHAPE. 

FOR MY BROWS I HAD TO STRAIGHTEN THE TOP PART OF MY BROWS AS WELL AS THE BOTTOM PART TO CREATE THE FULL BROW THAT I WANTED.

(TIP: IT IS GOOD TO HAVE A PENCIL WITH YOU WHEN SHAPING YOUR BROWS BECAUSE THE LEAD PRESENT IN THE PENCIL MIMIC'S THE SHINE OF YOUR NATURAL HAIR.)

TO MAKE THE BROWS LOOK MORE NATURAL, I USED BENEFIT'S BROW ZINGS IN LIGHT WITH AN ANGLED BRUSH  AND SET THE BROWN IN PLACE WITH MIKYAJY'S BROW GEL.

FOR THE EYES

THE EYE MAKE UP IS PRETTY SIMPLE. I THINK THAT THIS CAN BE USED DURING WEDDINGS AS IT IS VERY NATURAL.

I TRIED TO DO THE EYE MAKE UP WITH 3 BRUSHES. A FLAT SHADOW BRUSH, A BLENDING BRUSH AND ANGLED BRUSH.

TO MAKE THE EYE SHADOW LAST I APPLIED URBAN DECAY'S PRIMER POTION ALL OVER THE EYE AREA.

USING THE FLAT SHADOW BRUSH I APPLIED VIRGIN ALL OVER MY LID. USING A BLENDING BRUSH, I APPLIED BUCK ( MATTE, CHOCOLATE BROWN SHADOW) ON MY CREASE AS WELL AS ON THE LOWER LASH LINE. BLEND.

FOR THE HIGHLIGHT, I USED THE OTHER SIDE OF MY FLAT BRUSH AND APPLIED SIN ON MY BROW BONE.

I DID NOT APPLY ANY HIGHLIGHT ON MY TEAR DUCTS, I HAVE NEVER SEEN MS. HEPBURN WITH HIGHLIGHTED TEAR DUCTS ON ANY OF HER PHOTOS.

ANOTHER THING THAT YOU MIGHT WANT TO KEEP IN MIND IS THE LINER. BACK IN THE 60'S THERE WERE 2 ICONIC LOOKS, THE CAT EYE, SEXY BOMBSHELL LOOK POPULARISED BY MS. SOFIA LOREN AND THE GAMINE LOOK BY AUDREY HEPBURN. 

FOR THE EYES

BOTH LOOKS SPORTED BLACK LINER BUT THEY ARE DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT. THE CAT EYE LINER AIMS TO ELONGATE YOUR EYES AS OPPOSED TO THE GAMINE LOOK WHERE IT IS SUPPOSED TO MAKE YOU LOOK MORE DOE EYED AND INNOCENT (LESS SEXY NONETHELESS STILL GORGEOUS)

TO LINE MY EYES, I USED MIKYAJY'S BLACK LINER AND MADE SURE THE THE LINE CLOSE TO THE TEAR DUCTS ARE KEPT VERY THIN. 

THIS BLACK LINER HAS A FELT TIP APPLICATOR WHICH IS PERFECT FOR WOMEN OUT THERE WHO ARE TRYING TO PERFECT THE WING. THE FIRMNESS OF THE APPLICATOR MAKES IT EASIER FOR YOU TO DRAW THE WING THAT YOU DESIRE WITHOUT THE HASSLE.

(TIP: THICK LINER CLOSE TO THE TEAR DUCTS CLOSES YOUR EYES.)

I LINED MY WATER LINE WITH MAKE UP FOREVER'S KOHL LINER IN 2K, CURLED MY LASHES AND APPLIED 2 COATS OF BENEFIT'S THEY'RE REAL MASCARA.

I SKIPPED THE FALSIES! THEY'RE DOES THE JOB! :)

FOR THE CHEEKS


I USED MY COASTAL SCENTS BLUSH AND CONTOUR PALETTE FOR THIS LOOK. I DID NOT USE ANY SHIMMERY PRODUCTS BECAUSE DURING THE 60'S I DOUBT IF THEY HAD SHIMMER PRODUCTS FOR THE SKIN.


FOR THE CHEEKS


I USED THE BEIGE COLOUR FOR MY HIGHLIGHT AND THE LIGHTER PINK FOR THE BLUSH.


FOR THE LIPS


ALWAYS MOISTURISE YOUR LIPS BEFORE YOU START YOUR MAKE UP APPLICATION.


FOR THE LIPS


I MOISTURISED WITH DERMALOGICA'S CLIMATE CONTROL LIP TREATMENT. I LINED MY LIPS WITH MAC'S SPICE LIPLINER AND FILLED IN WITH MAC'S BLANKETY LIPSTICK.


THE FINISHED LOOK!


HOPE YOU GUYS LIKE IT!
GIVE IT A TRY AND LET ME KNOW :)






2 comments:

Sana Wana said...

Hey Ana.. I just saw this look .. donno how I missed it when u posted before.. thank you soo much for doing the tutorial on my request :) those brows are to die for !!

ANNA DE LEON said...

Hey Sana! Glad you liked it! Apologies if it took too long to upload, manic over here! :)