About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

SWEAT AND STRETCH WITH BIKRAM YOGA

SOME TIPS IF YOU PLAN TO ATTEND A SESSION

Drink plenty of water throughout the day.


Make sure that you have clean feet and be free of perfumes or lotions.

Avoid eating anything 3 hours prior to the class.





DRENCHED CAT AND LOVING IT!!!




In my commitment to share information and experience beyond Beauty and Fashion, I started looking for other areas that we, women and men alike, hold important to us and I don’t know why I have not even written anything about Fitness and Exercise. What was I thinking?!

Not so long ago, I used to go to the gym regularly. (Really, I did!) Infact, I even hired a personal trainer, but then I left for Paris and you know what happens in Europe… you start trading your love affair with the treadmill to leisurely walks in the jardin or the minutes spent exploring the amazing collections at the Louvre or simply shopping in Champs Elysees. :). Since then, I have gotten used to not exercising even now that I have come back to Dubai.

I am not a health buff (you know that by now coz I love cooking as much as eating) but it does not mean that I do not watch what I eat. I am not a gym freak either but I do value the importance of getting your heart rate up and sweating, however, I just realized that spending hours in the gym no longer excites and motivates me.

My search for an alternative way to keep fit brought me to Club Stretch where I was introduced to Bikram Yoga.

Just to give you a brief background, Bikram Yoga, is a 26 posture series practice which was founded by Bikram Choudhury while he was rehabilitating his knee due to an accident.

The 90 minute session is conducted in a heated room to properly warm the muscles. The 26 Hatha Yoga poses are designed to warm and stretch your muscles in the order which they should be stretched.

Because the room is intentionally kept warm, your muscles will not be traumatized from the stretching. The heat also prevents injuries. Aside from the benefits to your muscles, the heat also promotes sweating which aids in flushing out the toxins from your body.

With regular practice you can expect reduced cholesterol, stronger bones, improved digestive and circulatory systems, corrected and strengthened immune system and of course reduced stress and increased focus and concentration.

I looked like a drenched cat after my session but I felt amazing! I was flushed from the steam and it seemed as if my eyes were brighter. I have to admit that I was not sure as to how my muscles would feel the following day but surprise surprise…. No aches and pains!

I loved the results of my 1st Bikram Yoga session, how my body felt after (felt very light) and I felt so calm. It was as if nothing could stress me out. :)

Bikram Yoga is definitely worth checking and trying out for an alternative to the usual time spent on the treadmill and pumping iron in the gym.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You really know your stuff... Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Have you got any additional details of it?