About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

BREAKING OUT

WHEN MY SKIN GETS A LITTLE 'UPSET' I APPLY A THIN LAYER OF CLINIQUE REDNESS SOLUTIONS URGENT RELIEF CREAM.

I USE THE OVERNIGHT CLEARING GEL FROM DERMALOGICA ONLY WHEN I SEE SPOTS DEVELOPING. THIS HAS SALICYLIC ACID. WHAT THIS INGREDIENT DOES IS THAT IT GOES UNDER THE PORE AND IT PUSHES THE BACTERIA OUT.

WHEN THE BREAK OUTS STARTED I HAD TO RE THINK MY SKIN CARE REGIMEN. I STOPPED USING A NORMAL SCRUB AND STARTED USING THIS GENTLE CREAM EXFOLIANT FROM DERMALOGICA.
IT DOES NOT HAVE BEADS BUT IT DOES HAVE LACTIC ACID, WHICH EATS AWAY THE DEAD SKIN CELLS WITHOUT ABRASIVE AFTER EFFECTS OF NORMAL FACIAL SCRUBS

I MIX 1 PART FUCIDIN AND 1 PART DIFFERIN AND I APPLY A THIN LAYER ON THE AFFECTED AREAS AT NIGHT.

I STARTED USING BIODERMA'S MAKE UP REMOVER SINCE I STARTED BREAKING OUT. THIS IS THE MILDEST MAKE OVER REMOVER THAT I HAVE EVER USED. IT IS FRAGRANCE FREE, REMOVES ALL TRACES OF MAKE UP EVEN WATERPROOF MAKE UP. I HAVE ONE IN MY KIT AND ONE AT HOME.
FRENCH PHARMACY FINDS ROCK!

THE PREDICAMENT

Hi Everyone! I can feel the weekend already. It has been a while since I posted a look and its mainly due to 2 reasons - I had Contact Dermatitis the week of Valentine's Day and it took a week and half to get rid of the rashes. Once the rashes disappeared, I developed a bad case of pimples. Or to be matter of factly, I have to say that this is a mild case of Adult Acne.

Currently, I am nursing my skin back to health with a milder skin care regimen, with products that I researched and looked for, which I will be sharing with you as well.

Because of this predicament, I felt compelled to share with everyone some things about our skin, in the most layman-ly (is there a word like this? If none, pardon me, Iam sticking to this for the lack of a better word) manner.

So, to start, our skin is our body's biggest organ. It has 3 layers.

* Epidermis - Top Layer, Visible to the eye

* Dermis - 2nd Layer and this has our nerve endings, blood vessels, oil glands, sweat glands. collagen and elastin.

* Subcutaneous Fat - This mainly has fat (as the name suggests) and its purpose is to make you warm. This is also where your hair grows.

For the purpose of this post, I will touch on the blood vessels and oil glands. These 2 things found in the Dermis are important to understanding and dealing with Adult Acne.

The Blood Vessels are responsible for making our skin healthy. They bring nutrients to our skin and eliminate waste.

The Oil Glands have pores which contain Sebum. Sebum is our Natural Oil. It rises to the epidermis to naturally lubricate and protect our skin.

Where there is over-production of Sebum, 3 things can happen:

1. If our pores gets clogged and it closes, it produces a bulge called White Heads.

2. If our pores gets clogged and it remains open, this is what we call Black Heads.

3. When the walls of the pores get destroyed and sebum, bacteria and dead skin get under the skin the result is undesirable pimples.


So, why am I lecturing you guys on this? hehehe. So, at least, we know what we are dealing with, explained in the simplest manner, the real causes and how to deal with it.


Contrary to popular belief, it is not chocolates, greasy food, nor wearing make up which causes these skin problems. Our genes have a lot to contribute on whether we will get Acne or not. Our stress levels have a lot to do with it as well. The more stressed we are, the more sebum our oil glands produce and when our pores get clogged, we break out :(

I was, in all honesty, petrified at the condition of my skin. I panicked! Big mistake. If you are suffering from a mild case of pimples, purchasing creams with benzoyl peroxide will kill the bacteria. Another pimple killing ingredient that you should watch out for is Salicylic Acid. This dries the pimple. Word of caution, apply a thin film only as these ingredients have a tendency to dry your skin too much.


Featured here are the products that I am currently using while I nurse my skin to its original glory. :)



No comments: