About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

DUBAI FASHION WEEK A/W 2010

After Michael Cinco's show

Nia B takes a break from Gay Paris to cover Dubai Fashion Week

Watching and Tweeting at the Michel Cinco show

Co Blogger Mabellie with budding designer, Chris

My turn, blurry but I like it :)

Playing with effect and the cam with Mariyah.

Getting ready for Michael Cinco's show.

With WARDA designer, Ushi Sato and their master cutter.

Dubai Fashion Week's last day in
ZARA jacket, Zara top, Forever 21 Jeans, Zara Boots and Gucci Bag



The recently concluded Dubai Fashion Week was not all about Fashion, at least for me. It was more than that. It was about touching base with friends who I haven’t seen in ages because of our busy schedules, meeting new ones, and seeing new talents.

People say that Art imitates Life, I can say the same thing for Fashion. We were taught in IED to always be on the look out for possible trends, we were sent out for a half a day on ground researches, surf the net (cool hunting) for what’ s in and what’s out globally, see what people are wearing.

I honestly, don’t know what the rights words are to express how I felt about the Fashion Week. For sure , there were items that I did love. I think HSY’s men’s collection was amazing. I heart the jackets, Michael Cinco’s amazing collection, the silhouette of Furne One’s theatrical masterpieces, Warda’s understated glamour. The intros to each show was well thought of. HSY’s intro was very sentimental and it is great that the designer paid tribute to his grandmother, Furne One’s intro sent shivers up my spine. However, there are things that you also can’t over look, say, like..... hmmmmm, how do I say it without sounding mean..... can’t find the words.... I am sorry but I have to say this.... Cheap fabric made to look expensive by overtly beading the creation. Perhaps to the not so keen eye it is okay but to the trained eye, they know better.

I have always had an idea of how one should dress up when attending a fashion show, some can be tailored, sharp, sexy (think Alt, Roitfeld, Lanphear) Some can be outrageous (think Piaggi) some just go as they are because their names are enough J (Wintour and Coddington). Again, I am in a situation where I am trying to find the right words to properly articulate how I feel without sounding bad...... but some people who attended the shows were just showing too much skin. I mean, I am not at all conservative and I believe in `when you have it, flaunt it.’ mantra but too much from the top and bottom in a majorly body hugging dress with something big dangling from the top was just an eye sore. It could have been an eye candy but... but... but.... toooooo much butssss. I am sorry, I don’t know how I could have worded it any better. L

The Dubai Fashion Week is indeed a circus. In a good way, of course. Some will make you laugh, some will awe you and some will make you cringe but it is my sincere hope that next year will be different... I can see that the designers are indeed getting better and better I hope that I can say the same for the spectators.





































No comments: