About Me

My photo
Freelance Make Up Artist and Stylist who shuttles between New York, Italy and Dubai, Anna has been in the Make Up industry since 1996. She trained under Mario Dedivanovic and Scott Barnes in NYC and has a certificate for Hairstyling from Cinema Make Up School A true lover of all the elements of Fashion, she studied Fashion Design and Styling at the prestigious Istituto Europeo Di Design in Milan, Italy.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

ICONS

VOGUE Cover done by Mr. Meisel, which I am lucky to have.

ONE OF THE EDITORIALS THAT MS. ALT HAS STYLED

THE INCUMBENT FASHION DIRECTOR OF VOGUE PARIS, MS. EMMANUELLE ALT

MR. DEMARCHELIER'S MAGIC

ONE OF THE MASTERPIECES OF MR. RITTS

THE ONE AND ONLY HERB RITTS


THE LATE, GREAT KEVYN AUCOIN


Everyone has idols or icons who constantly inspire them and of course I am no different.

I have always been very vocal about the people who inspire me, whose work I follow and this post is dedicated to the men and women who never ceases to amaze me.

My love affair with Make Up started when I was very young. I was, I think in my first year in High School when I finally found out who was making those beautiful faces of Paulina Porizkova, Estelle, Elaine Irwin and it was none other than Kevyn Aucoin, probably the best Make Up Artist that ever lived! To pay homage to him, I named my Make Up Kit, The Kevyn. At first, I was just amazed by his work but after reading more about him, his experiences and causes, all the more that I realised that Kevyn did deserve all the success that he had. He was not only a talented man but his heart is as beautiful as the images that he has created. There are tens of thousands of Make Up Artists out there (me included) who will forever be grateful for the inspiration that he has provided.

Taking photos is perhaps one of my passions and from the days when I would cut a 135 black and white film in my uncle’s studio, I’d say my preference for Black and White photos has simply intensified, so it will not be a surprise if the works of the late great Herb Ritts just moves me nor should the sight of me jumping up and down like a lunatic in Musee D’Orsay clutching the book of Patrick Demarchelier. (Yes, I was). For me, and this is my biased opinion, the beauty of the composition of a photograph is never more apparent than when it is in Black and White. But of course I am also moved by the images done by Steven Meisel. For some reason, his photos always has this ethereal feel to it. Could it be his post modern approach? Whatever it is. It works for me and his almost 10year collaboration with Franca Sozzani, the incumbent Vogue Italia Fashion Editor, proves this so. Mr. Meisel is also responsible for putting the super in model and catapulted Amber Valleta, Linda E, Christy T and Naomi C AKA The Trinity among a few to supermodel status.

By now, you'd notice that I love women who do not apologise for their intelligence, beauty and charm (their high pay checks too!) and in every fashion editorial this magnificent woman makes, i see this kind of woman, beautiful, strong, oozing with appeal, classy and she is no different from the women that she styles in these editorials. Emmanuelle Alt for me epitomises the ideal Alpha Female. She can be in army boots and cargo pants but there is always something so feminine about her style. By far, one of the very few women I have seen who looks amazing sans maquillage.


Though Kevyn and Herb are no longer here, their works will forever inspire me and for Steven and Emmanuelle who are still here, may your works continue to push us to exceed the expectations that we have set for ourselves.

No comments: